The end of Part 1 concluded with the need of checking in with the Master Craftsman to make sure I'm on the right track. Late last week I went in and saw him. Although things looked great at first, we realized that I had crowned the sole. That is, the center was now higher than than edges.
We theorized that the reason this happened is because I was clamping the plane by a single wing (one of the metal sides) and wasn't supporting the other side, causing the sole to bow when I put pressure on it.
So I get to fix that.
We also reground the iron to 35 degrees over the 45 degree cut that I had put in. I'll need to work on honing the blade from there. Once I get the sole actually flattened, I'll be able to continue.
On a much happier note, I was asked if I would be willing to work in the woodshop over the summer with Rich (The Craftsman). As this woodshop is located on the campus I work at, it's something I can do during my normal job. Very exciting news. More details on that as it progresses!
And lastly, this past weekend I picked up a small Stanley 220 block plane and an old joiners woodworking square. I plan to take everything I learned from working with Rich to fix up the No.4 and fix the 220 without any assistance.